SEO marketing utilizes a variety of techniques including content marketing, social media marketing, etc. Another important SEO strategy that is widely utilized by a lot of websites and ecommerce sites includes external linking. This is one of the SEO best practicesthat can increase the reputation and credibility of your website. Also, it can be useful to enhance the visibility of your site, thereby boosting the traffic.
An external link can be referred to as a hyperlink that links to another website other than the source, i.e., if some other site links to your website, it can be called as an external link. Similarly, if you link to another website, then it is also an external link. It is also known as an outbound link. This link can act as a reference to your website, hence, it can increase your credibility among your competitors.
You can add an external link from another website or a blog. Many websites are utilizing blogs for getting links and also for educating customers. This is also a great strategy that can increase your ranking in Google search results. You can ask other reputed sites to add a link to your website from theirs, and in return you can add a link to their website from your site.
However, there are certain things you have to consider before adding a link to your website, because there will be spammy links which can ruin the reputation of your site. It is better to avoid adding a link to or from such sites, as it can jeopardize your search engine ranking too. Hence before adding or requesting a link, you have to check the trustworthiness and credibility of the other websites.
Today, most of the search engines utilize a set of metrics to determine the value of an external link. It includes:
- The trustworthiness of domain that provides the link
- How popular the linking page is
- The relevancy of the content given in both the source and target pages
- The anchor text (the clickable words to which the hyperlink is added) used in the link
- The number of links coming from the source to the same page
- The number of root domains linking to the target page
- The number of variations of the anchor text that are used for linking to the target page
- The ownership relations between both the source as well as the target domains
External linking is a wonderful SEO marketing strategy that is utilized by a lot of businesses. It can be useful to increase the reputation of your website and can to also boost your search engine ranking. Hence, it is important to utilize this technique for increasing the visibility of your website.