Listing hundreds and thousands of products on your e-commerce website does not assure you stable search engine traffic all the time. Optimizing e-commerce websites for SEO is not an easy task like some may think it is. With numerous products being displayed across multiple pages of your website, you can expect many problems that complicate e-commerce SEO operations.
Here are some common SEO errors in e-commerce websites.
Duplicated title tags can affect the ranking of e-commerce websites adversely. Uniqueness is a basic requirement but it seems like many have begun ignoring the requirement. If you are selling multiple items of the same brand or same type of item of multiple brands, maintaining the uniqueness of titles becomes a tough job.
Instead of single keywords, online shoppers mostly type in keyword phrases. You could use a formula that will work well: Brand-Model-Item type.
Not Adding Product Reviews
About 70% of buyers check product reviews before making a buying decision. What this indicates is that you might be missing out on a large percentage of your audience by not providing product reviews on your website. Review pages reach on top of search results more easily when compared to product pages.
Here are the features of product reviews from customers.
- When you accept product reviews from customers, you are in fact, getting unique content for free. After all, creating unique content is not an easy job and a product review is a beneficial tool.
- It keeps the product pages live that improves the search engine rankings. The frequency of updating the website has a direct impact on search engine ranking. The more frequently you update the contents on the website, the better is your ranking.
No Product Description
Not many online stores make this mistake. It is usually made by online gift stores and clothing stores. If the textual description of products is lacking in your e-commerce website, the chances for it being in the top 10 of search inquiries are quite less.
The uniqueness of the content you add as a product description is critical in determining your search engine rankings. Keep the following things in mind while writing product descriptions:
- Do not copy content added to other websites. Search engines may penalize you for the action.
- Ensure that you write quality content to help your customers make the right buying decisions.
- Keep track of the word count in the description. Too much content is not going to do any good.
Avoiding all these possible errors helps you build a well-performing e-commerce website.